Re: Laptop choice?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
For those who have already finished their turkey, or reside outside the US and don't celebrate Thanksgiving, or for whatever reason are actually reading debian-user today...

I finally have some spare cash and so am looking to replace my aged IBM Thinkpad 390. All the sale flyers came in today's paper for sales tomorrow and Saturday. I need some advice on which laptop to get. I have looked around on Google, at linuxlaptops.com and such. A lot of what I see is several years old and I could use some current tips from people running linux on current machines.

I expect I will be doing some programming, some word-processing, a little image manipulation, possibly a small amount of sound file manipulation. I might also move my website maintenance from the desktop to the laptop. I am not a gamer! This is probably not going to be a "heavy load" machine, but I want something that will work well for me and not give me any headaches. I have enough of those, already.

These are what I am currently looking at:

Toshiba Satellite ($299.99 US)
   Intel Celeron M 420
   512 MB DDR2 RAM
   80 GB HD
   CD-RW/DVD
   802.11 a/b/g

Where do you get these prices? I checked Newegg and for a TOSHIBA Satellite A105-S2201 they want $690.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834114271

Hugo

Compaq Presario ($399.98 US)
   AMD Turion64
   512 MB RAM
   60 GB HD
   CD-RW/DVD
   802.11 b/g

HP ($379.99 US)
   Intel Core Solo T1350
   512 MB DDR2 RAM
   80 GB HD
   DVD-RW
   Centrino Mobile Technology

Since I just got a job (hence the spare cash) using M$ I will be leaving that other OS on the box and installing Debian as a dual boot. I would appreciate any tips on what does, or does not work. Getting wireless to work, etc.