Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but can't because it doesn't exist

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 11:20:42PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:37:27PM -0500, Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >
> > I went from ext3 to reiserfs because ext3 didn't stand up long term to
> > power failures (then from reiserfs to jfs when it became available).
>
> Well, if that's the situation, going form reiserfs to ext3 fs doesn't
> seem like that much of an improvement.  Did you actually experience
> ext3's corruption during power outages, or just hear about it?  And if
> it was experience, was it on a live system or a test rig (like JFS and
> the directiry copying.
>
> I know from experience that ext2 isn't good against power failures.  I
> believe that power failures have been the ultimate reason why one of my
> etch systems dies.  But that's ext2, not ext3.   Mind you, reinstall
> isn't all that successful either; I'm hitting bugs in the new installer ...

Actual experience with files my /etc/ gone, or errors that fsck could
find but not fix, followed by progressive degregation (more errors)
after proper shutdown and reboot.  With ext3.

You don't have to reinstall to switch to JFS.  Its just a shuffle as if
you were changing hard drives.  I used mc for the copy ops.  The trick
is creating the inital space.  A good non-system-managed partition (or
directory) is /home; remove it to backup and make a new directory
/oldusr and copy /usr over, then format the /usr partition JFS and copy
everything back.  Once everything is JFS then restore the /home/.

I suppose it would be a problem if everything was in one big / partition.
Then you need an actual spare partition/drive/nfs to hold that whole
partion.

Note that while JFS has increased redundancy it is not as
space-efficient as ext3 (more stuff saved in the journal).  So ensure
that your target partitions are big enough.

Good luck.

Doug.