Re: Need to remove a ghost file, but can't because it doesn't exist

Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 03:02:23PM +0000, J.A. de Vries wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a problem with a file which seems to not exist, but that makes
> > applications like rsync, offlineimap and tar crash, because they try to read it
> > anyway (not their fault as far as I can tell).
> >
> > When I try to sync my mail using offlineimap it crashes after a while with the following output:
>
> > So the system tells me the file is non-existant, but it does know the full name
> > of that same file without me telling it. I don't understand how that is
> > possible, but that probably is just due to lack of knowledge on my part. The
> > problem persists over reboots, though. So I presume it is not due to some form
> > of caching.
> >

> > To be honest I don't know what to do next. I really want to backup my mail,
> > but cannot because of this problem. To solve the problem I need to remove the
> > file, but when I do try such I get told it isn't there. Any suggestions?
> >

> I see from later posts that reiserfsck worked.  I used to have this
> problem.  I tracked it down to a problem within reiserfs where it stores
> small files within the directory structure itself (as a speed-up
> measure).  I got tired of it and switched to JFS.  JFS offered me the
> following benefits:
>
> 	Never any corruption even with intermittant hydro.
>
> 	Fast check after power failures.
>
> 	Since I never had any corruption I don't know about its fixing
> 	of corruption.  I've never had to run fsck manually.
>
> 	I was able to retreive all but one file off a hard drive that
> 	had a physical crash.  Perhaps I was just lucky but it was able
> 	to regenerate the directory structure automatically when I
> 	mounted it.
>
> Now that debian has support for JFS in the kernel itself, I use JFS for
> all partitions.

I have recently switched from reiserfs to jfs.  Reiserfs v3 hasn't
seen much action lately.  V4 is in some sort of limbo.  Given the
sordid tale of the disappearance of Reiser's estranged wife and Hans
Reiser's subsequent arrest, I figured I would like to try something
else.

Since IBM is taking the brunt of SCO, why not take a look at JFS?  I
look around for info on JFS, but there isn't all that much out on the
web.

So far so good, but then again, I was largely happy with reiserfs over
the past 4 or so years.  I must not tax my systems too hard with
panic reboots.

Anyway, I am glad to hear others are also trying this filesystem.

--
Johan KULLSTAM