Problems mounting lexar SD card: need advice

I have several SD cards that I use to store pictures & other items on for
transport. In particular the ones from my Kodak DX6440 camera. I have an " I
(dot) Connect' USB jmulti-port card reader that handles 4 different typs of
cards as well as USB sticks & micro drives. I have been successful in reading
& writing to the USB sticks but I get a bad superblock error when I try to
mount the SD cards, any of them. They work fine with Windows XP so there is
no hardware issue. I am running Debian sarge & I have hotplug, discover,
udev, installed. as far as I know these shold be found and mounted
automatically like the flash drives. They mount with or without an entry in
etc/fstab just in different spots. Any one out ther with similar hardware
that can offer some tips. Before you ask: yes I have done a considerable
amount of research on what might be the problem...however though I might
figure it out soon: the hoolidays are bearing down on me & I need to get this
working ASAP.
Thanks!
--
John W. Foster