Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

On 22.11.06 19:34, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-11-19 20:25:26, schrieb Matus UHLAR - fantomas:
>
> > I do not separate / from /usr, in many cases even from /boot
>
> So 100 Mbyte will not enough in any kind

did anyone say I use 100 MB for / with /usr? I just would not split 100MB /
from 1.9GB /usr but use 2GB / without separate /usr.

if I need to split something somewhere, it's separate /boot for making
booting process easier (or even possible)

> > > better: /var;     ext3; 1 GB
> > >         /var/log; ext3; 500 MB
> > I don't see any reason to have them separate.
>
> let a process running crazzy and filling op your diskspace with tonns
> of logfiles (debug.log, kern.log and syslog are written parallel)
>
> You will be happy, IF you have a seperated log partition!

I don't remember that happening to me. I rotate my files daily/weekly (on
different machines) and use /var big enough.

> > I mount /tmp on tmpfs (size-limited) and I think it's better to add this
> > space to swap, and use /tmp on tmpfs limited to 1 GB.
>
> And what, if the files is bigger as your memory?

It would fill up 1GB filesystem the same way independently on filesystem
used - tmpfs (with swap big enough) or anything other.

Putting 1GB to swap and using 1GB /tmp on swap helps, when there are really
temporary files with processes working with them.

I'd try to find out who and why needs that big file in /tmp (why not e.g.
/var/tmp)

Working with files in /tmp is much faster if /tmp is mounted on swap. If
that makes your system slower, they probably even don't have to be in /tmp
(/tmp means temporary, any data that have to be preserved upon reboot, do
NOT belong there).

> > However I haven't seen /tmp used that much for long time. Maybe in some
> > cases...
>
> On my Multimedia-station /tmp is a seperated Western Digital Raptor
> 76 GByte...  and my /tmp is arround 40% if I am working.

How many of memory do you have in those machine?