Re: dumb question about blind upgrades....

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 01:05:37PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Today I typed in apt-get upgrade as root and the machine updated the package list and
> installed 4 more packages and upgraded a lot of security features.
>
> My fairly dumb question is: did I just get the security package updates or did I upgrade to
> r4?

Same thing, you are running r4 now. The current stable receives (mostly)
only security updates.

> The other question I have is:  if I am using Sarge with a bog standard desktop install with
> gnome and open office etc and all I really do is work on word processing and spreadsheets plus
> some web browsing and don't fart around with source installations rpm installations or
> backports etc., then would a blind upgrade to Etch be reasonably safe for me to proceed with
> when it becomes stable?

You should at least read the release notes ...

> What I think would be useful would be if you ran a small business and you had ten employees
> each running a PC and doing much the same as me and thus their activities were innocous enough
> that you could do a blind upgrade on all the PC's very quickly and know that it would be OK.
>
> This would save a lot of farting around that goes on with other OSes.

This is one of Debian's strong points. But for a production environment
with several identical machines you could test the upgrade on one
machine and if everything runs smooth you can upgrade the rest. Minor
glitches could still appear, maybe because of customizations done by
each user.

> I would even go as far as to deliberately avoid using any package in any configuration that
> would make the upgrade harder.

Hard to tell which packages can create problems ...

> Provided the basic functions above work well, this could go a
> long way in many situations and save a lot of time and money.....

That's the general idea ;)

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)