VIA epia box does not "see" onboard ethernet after reboot (was: mini-itx server)

Dear Srs,

I have two VIA epia boxes. One is an epia5000, and is running
ipcop, using its onboard ethernet (Via Rhine) and an adittional
PCI SiS ethernet board; the other is an epia M6000, and is running
sarge, headless - its a disk / subversion server.

Both boxes run 24h/day - boots/reboots are rare. However,
when I need a boot, *sometimes*, both machines are unable
to load the Via Rhine module.

When this happens, I have found that turning off the box, booting
it with a different PCI content (remove PCI SiS card, or insert it, in the case
of the box that does not have one), turning it off again, restoring
the previous PCI configuration and then rebooting - this brings
the box back to normality... (??!!?)

Does anyone (else) faced ethernet problems with these boards?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
João