minitoc.sty package for TeX - which version is in "unstable" archive?

I have need of the latest version (version 49) of the "minitoc.sty"
package for TeX.  The version in Debian "testing" is version 40, which
is dated December 2004, and does not work properly in my application.

I have downloaded the tetex-extra .deb package from the Debian "unstable"
archive, in order to attempt to determine the version of "minitoc.sty" package.
I ran the command:

     $ dpkg --fsys-tarfile tetex-extra_3.0.dfsg.3-1_all.deb | tar -xf -
     minitoc*

which generated the error messages:

    tar: Pattern matching characters used in file names. Please,
    tar: use --wildcards to enable pattern matching, or --no-wildcards to
    tar: suppress this warning.
    tar: minitoc*: Not found in archive

I also downloaded version 49 of the minitoc package directly from
www.ctan.org, and I read the installation instructions.  In order to
install minitoc.sty, several scripts need to be configured and run.
But I do not know enough about the Debian implementation of the TeX,
teTeX, aucTeX, etc., packages to know how to configure the scripts; I
fear that I would corrupt the entire system.

There is is a "debian-tex-maint" list at lists.debian.org, but the
list description emphatically states that the list is not for support.

So how should I proceed?

RLH