Re: Wireless interface stopped working in Etch

Partial success - the interface is now working!

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:21:34 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
[...]

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

It could also be that you are missing some other modules, e.g. some
parts of the ieee80211 stack.
No ieee80211 packages are installed on either system.

I meant the kernel modules for ieee80211.

No results when I grep lsmod for '802' or 'ieee'.

[..]

Diff'ing the output of "lsmod"
[...]

Try to compare this for the two cases:

lsmod | cut -d " " -f1 | sort

Ah - much neater!

fresh install working install

8250_pci                                                        8250_pci
8250_pnp                                                        8250_pnp
ac                                                              ac
ac97_codec                                                    <
agpgart                                                         agpgart
                                                             > autofs4
battery                                                         battery
                                                             > binfmt_misc
button                                                          button
crc_ccitt                                                       crc_ccitt
cs46xx                                                        <
dm_mirror                                                       dm_mirror
dm_mod                                                          dm_mod
dm_snapshot                                                     dm_snapshot
                                                             > drm
e100                                                            e100
evdev                                                           evdev
ext3                                                            ext3
fan                                                             fan
fat                                                             fat
firmware_class firmware_class
floppy                                                          floppy
gameport                                                        gameport
generic                                                         generic
i2c_core                                                        i2c_core
i2c_piix4                                                       i2c_piix4
ide_core                                                        ide_core
ide_disk                                                        ide_disk
intel_agp                                                       intel_agp
                                                             > ipv6
irda                                                            irda
irtty_sir                                                       irtty_sir
jbd                                                             jbd
                                                             > lockd
loop                                                            loop
                                                             > lp
mbcache                                                         mbcache
mii                                                             mii
Module                                                          Module
mousedev                                                        mousedev
                                                             > nfs
                                                             > nfs_acl
nls_cp437                                                       nls_cp437
nls_iso8859_1 nls_iso8859_1
nsc_ircc                                                        nsc_ircc
                                                             > nvram
parport                                                         parport
parport_pc                                                      parport_pc
pci_hotplug                                                     pci_hotplug
pcmcia                                                          pcmcia
pcmcia_core                                                     pcmcia_core
pcspkr                                                          pcspkr
piix                                                            piix
                                                             > ppdev
processor                                                       processor
psmouse                                                         psmouse
rsrc_nonstatic rsrc_nonstatic
rt2500                                                          rt2500
rtc                                                             rtc
                                                             > savage
serio_raw                                                       serio_raw
shpchp                                                          shpchp
sir_dev                                                         sir_dev
snd                                                             snd
snd_ac97_bus                                                    snd_ac97_bus
snd_ac97_codec snd_ac97_codec
snd_cs46xx                                                      snd_cs46xx
> snd_mixer_oss snd_page_alloc snd_page_alloc
snd_pcm                                                         snd_pcm
                                                             > snd_pcm_oss
snd_rawmidi                                                     snd_rawmidi
snd_seq_device snd_seq_device
snd_timer                                                       snd_timer
soundcore                                                       soundcore
                                                             > sunrpc
thermal                                                         thermal
tsdev                                                           tsdev
uhci_hcd                                                        uhci_hcd
                                                             > uinput
usbcore                                                         usbcore
vfat                                                            vfat
yenta_socket                                                    yenta_socket

[...]

Is /etc/Wireless/RT2500STA/RT2500STA.dat the same for both installs?

Aha! No. 'AuthMode=OPEN' on the working system, but 'AuthMode=SHARED' on the fresh install. If I change the value in the fresh install (with a text editor) to 'AuthMode=OPEN' and bring up the interface (ifup eth1) I get lights! Also iwconfig reports a link (eg Link Quality=74/100). I can ping to other addresses now. I found that I could also change this value by adding these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:

 pre-up ifconfig eth1 up
 pre-up iwpriv eth1 set AuthMode=OPEN

The interface works. There is a niggle though: bringing the interface down (ifdown eth1) now gives an error:

   Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
       SET failed on device eth1 ; Function not implemented.

8B06 looks very similar to numbers in the output of 'iwpriv', but 'iwpriv' does not report 8B06 (see below). I don't know whether this is relevant.

Have you any idea how AuthMode was originally set to SHARE on the fresh install and not on the older working install?

Does "iwpriv" expose any private commands to turn the device on or off?

Both sytems have identical results for 'iwpriv' (apart from the interface names eth1 or wlan0):

eth1      Available private ioctls :
         set              (8BE2) : set 1024 char  & get   0
         bbp              (8BE3) : set 1024 char  & get 1024 char
         mac              (8BE5) : set 1024 char  & get 1024 char
         e2p              (8BE7) : set 1024 char  & get 1024 char
         rfmontx          (8BED) : set   2 int   & get   1 char

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll see if I can get 'rt2x00' and 'ndiswrapper' working with the card now.

--
Chris.