Re: Wireless interface stopped working in Etch

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 16:38:50 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> My Edimax EW-7108pcg PCMCIA wifi card (rt2500 driver) works perfectly in
> my constantly upgraded version of Etch (Testing). I installed the rt2500
> driver some weeks ago. The same driver, built in the same way, will not
> work in a fresh install of Etch in a new partition on the same machine
> (Thinkpad T20).
>
> In both cases I built the rt2500 module from the rt2500-source package
> using module assistant. The resulting modules package was the same version:
>
> rt2500-modules-2.6.17-2-686 version 1.1.0+cvs20060620-3+2.6.17-9
>
> On the fresh install I have also tried the rt2x00 module. On the fresh
> install I have also tried ndswrapper for the Edimax card and another
> card (D-Link DWL-G650), but no luck. The interface will not come up
> (using ifup).
>
> With the rt2500 module, the card is detected and the rt2500 module loads
> OK in both cases. The only difference that I can find between the two
> systems is that the name allocated to the wireless interface is
> different. On the working system, the command iwconfig gives wlan0 for
> the wireless interface:
>
> lo          no wireless extensions.
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
> irda0     no wireless extensions.
> wlan0    RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"essid-of-my-modem/router"
>             [...]
> sit0       no wireless extensions.
>
> On the fresh install, the interface's name has been changed from wlan0
> to eth1. (Also, irda0 and sit0 are not detected):
>
> lo          no wireless extensions.
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
> eth1     RT2500 Wireless ESSID:""
>            [...]
>
> When I installed ndiswrapper on the fresh install, the wireless
> interface appeared as wlan0_rename
>
> lo                      no wireless extensions.
> eth0                  no wireless extensions.
> wlan0_rename   RT2500 Wireless ESSID:""
>                         [...]
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing the wireless interface to have
> different names on the fresh install of Etch? Any suggestions gratefully
> received.

The usual suspect for issues with the names of network devices is
/etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules.

As far as the general problem with the device is concerned: It seems
that eth1 in the new install is accepted as a wireless network device,
so it should work. Did you adjust the data in /etc/network/interfaces to
match the new name of the device? Ifup needs this information to set the
ESSID, encryption key, etc.

--
Regards,
          Florian