Wireless interface stopped working in Etch

My Edimax EW-7108pcg PCMCIA wifi card (rt2500 driver) works perfectly in my constantly upgraded version of Etch (Testing). I installed the rt2500 driver some weeks ago. The same driver, built in the same way, will not work in a fresh install of Etch in a new partition on the same machine (Thinkpad T20).

In both cases I built the rt2500 module from the rt2500-source package using module assistant. The resulting modules package was the same version:

rt2500-modules-2.6.17-2-686 version 1.1.0+cvs20060620-3+2.6.17-9

On the fresh install I have also tried the rt2x00 module. On the fresh install I have also tried ndswrapper for the Edimax card and another card (D-Link DWL-G650), but no luck. The interface will not come up (using ifup).

With the rt2500 module, the card is detected and the rt2500 module loads OK in both cases. The only difference that I can find between the two systems is that the name allocated to the wireless interface is different. On the working system, the command iwconfig gives wlan0 for the wireless interface:

lo          no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.
irda0     no wireless extensions.
wlan0    RT2500 Wireless ESSID:"essid-of-my-modem/router"
            [...]
sit0       no wireless extensions.

On the fresh install, the interface's name has been changed from wlan0 to eth1. (Also, irda0 and sit0 are not detected):

lo          no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.
eth1     RT2500 Wireless ESSID:""
           [...]

When I installed ndiswrapper on the fresh install, the wireless interface appeared as wlan0_rename

lo                      no wireless extensions.
eth0                  no wireless extensions.
wlan0_rename   RT2500 Wireless ESSID:""
                        [...]

Does anyone know what might be causing the wireless interface to have different names on the fresh install of Etch? Any suggestions gratefully received.

--
Chris.