Re: cannot remove mysql-server-5.0

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 18:04:12 -0800, Tom Brown wrote:
> On Monday 13 November 2006 17:53, Kevin Mark wrote:

[...]

> > Hi Tom,
> > one of the errors in the initscripts was complaining about
> > /lib/lsb/init-script. This is in the 'lsb-base' packages. I'd install it
> > so that when you try to re-install mysql 5, it does not fails, at least
> > with that error. So: install 'lsb-base', then 'mysql', then if that
> > works, try to remove 'mysql'.
> > Cheers,
> > Kev
>
> Hi Kev,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I think the packages db is really fubar. This is what I
> get when I try to install lsb-base:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install lsb-base
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: The package mysql-server-5.0 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
> archive for it.
>
> Does this mean there's no hope for my poor dev server? A fresh install
> wouldn't kill me. Although, if there is way out of this I'd like to know in
> case I run into this in the future on one of my production servers.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with your package database. I
think the problem is that apt/dpkg cannot find a package for the exact
same version of mysql-server-5.0 which is currently installed. Maybe you
changed your sources.list since you installed the package or there is a
newer version in Sid now, for example 5.0.26-3 instead of 5.0.26-2. I
think you just need to find the .deb with the right version for the
broken package on your system, e.g. from snapshot.debian.net, and put
that in /var/cache/apt/archives. I believe that this, together with the
lsb-base package which Kevin has pointed out already, will allow you to
fix things.

--
Regards,
          Florian