cannot remove mysql-server-5.0

Hi,

I installed some mysql 5 packages on my development server. I had to do a
--force-all to get them to install. I've tried three different ways to remove
the package but all fail (shown below). Any ideas on how to remove the
package?

Thanks,
Tom

$ sudo apt-get remove mysql-server-5.0
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: The package mysql-server-5.0 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an
archive for it.

$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq mysql-server-5.0
dpkg - warning, overriding problem because --force enabled:
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
(Reading database ... 96583 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing mysql-server-5.0 ...
/etc/init.d/mysql: line 22: /lib/lsb/init-functions: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0 (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
/etc/init.d/mysql: line 22: /lib/lsb/init-functions: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "stop" failed.
/etc/init.d/mysql: line 22: /lib/lsb/init-functions: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 mysql-server-5.0

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge mysql-server-5.0