Re: Recommendation for build environment(s)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:53:52PM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> >On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 11:50:28AM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> A "general question email".
> >>
> >> I'd like to get a recommendations on build environments setups,
> >> available today in the Linux world. Build environments should support
> >> C/C++ code.

This may seem out of left field, but have a look at smarteiffel: it's a
different programming language, but is very compatible with C -- its
compiler generates C code.  My son recently tried using Eiffel and
reports that he has never needed the debugger to find out what his
programs were doing, whereas it was an essential tool with C.  In short,
Eiffel catches a lot of errors at compile time, and correctly deals with
the storage management issues that cause so much grief with C/C++.

The Debian packages for smarteiffel are woefully out of date last time I
looked; you are better off downloading it from the
smarteiffel web site and compiling it yourself:
	http://smarteiffel.loria.fr/

-- hendrik