Re: Recommendation for build environment(s)

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 11:50:28AM +0200, Maxim Vexler wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> A "general question email".
>
> I'd like to get a recommendations on build environments setups,
> available today in the Linux world. Build environments should support
> C/C++ code.
>
> I'm looking for a tool / framework that would be :
>
> 1. User friendly (web interface)
> 2. Flexible (can be extended as required)
> 3. "Standard" - I want it to be based on common known tools such as GNU
> make.
>
> The intended audience is obviously developers, each working on his
> Linux workstation.
> For start each developer will be running this tool on his box to
> generate his custom builds, the next phase will be setting up build
> server with each developer committing to a build queue and co.
>
> The tool should be capable at the very least create recursive builds
> of custom written code combined with other open source libraries.
>
> I'm looking for open source tools as a general guide line, but
> commercial tools could be considered too.
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Maxim.
>

> --
> Cheers,
Hi Maxim,
that seems like a rather broad questions to ask. I could say:
Build tool: make
Build environment: vim
framework: gcc compiler collection (c, c++, fortran, etc.)

You should search the Debian archives which contains 16,000+ packages. In
there you will find many tool, languages and toolkits: perl, ruby,
python, php, lisp, ada, etc. There is even m$-compible c# mono and Sun
java compatible tools. There are gtk, qt, athena widgets, gnustep and
more. Debian also has tools that its developers use to make Debian
software in both a manual and automated fashion.

What do you want to build with this? web apps, embedded software,
console tools for system administraion or ? A simple set of programs for
a computer class project?

Cheers,
Kev