Re: Wireless interface stopped working in Etch

Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]
On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 20:46:11 +0000, Chris Lale wrote:

Is it possible to copy the module over from the original system to the new system? Which files are involved?

The file should be called "rt2500.ko" and it will be somewhere in
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/drivers/net/ or thereabouts. If you
run "dpkg-deb --contents" on the .deb file that you generated with
module-assistant you will get a listing of all file locations.

I am not sure if the other kernel will let you load the module since the
version magic string will probably not match.
(see "/sbin/modinfo rt2500 | grep vermagic")

I would first poke at a few other things:

dmesg | egrep 'wlan0|rt2500'

Are you able to set ESSID and key with "iwconfig" directly? Does the
card associate with the access point? Can you detect the beacon of the
AP with "iwlist wlan0 scan"? Any error messages?

It could also be that you are missing some other modules, e.g. some
parts of the ieee80211 stack. You could try if the driver works with
WEP/WPA disabled at the AP. Diff'ing the output of "lsmod" and the
kernel configuration for both cases might be helpful, too.

Thanks very much Florian. Looks like I've got plenty to look at this weekend!

--
Chris.