Re: maildrop "lockfile" error with maildir

* Chris Bannister <mockingbird@ihug.co.nz> [061110 22:00]:
> On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 10:53:53PM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> > Please forgive the cross-post, but I have gotten no response on this
> > matter from the mutt list or from the maildrop list.  I have read all
>
> You received at least 2 quite good replies on the mutt list,
> specifically msg_ids: 20061108072022.GA32457@state-of-mind.de and
> 20061109210239.GA6003@jadev.org, dated  Wed, 8 Nov 2006 08:20:22 +0100
> and Thu, 9 Nov 2006 21:02:39 +0000 respectively. Did you not receive
> them?

Hi, Chris.

I accept the reprimand; I was impatient.  Thanks.

I finally got the matter sorted out, and I found a tubful of errors in
my configuration files.  I find here a copy of the letter from
jadev.org, but the other other address sounds familiar, so a copy of
that letter likely is here, too, buried under a stack of paper.

The main problem turned out to be incomplete paths in the "to"
statement.  getmail is handing off directly to maildrop, and maildrop
is sorting messages into maildir structures within the directory
"~/mail/".

In my original attempt at writing "~/.mailfilter", I used "to"
statements of the form:

   to computer/debian

But after searching out and examining a number of .mailfilter
examples, I defined:

    MAILDIR="$HOME/mail"

and changed the "to" statements to the form:

    to $MAILDIR/computer/debian

and this solved the problem.

Some examples I saw (and some recommendations I received) called for
quotation marks around the destination address:

    to "$MAILDIR/computer/debian"

but this appears not to be necessary.  I did not try it, inasmuch as
the filter was working.

RLH