maildrop "lockfile" error with maildir

Please forgive the cross-post, but I have gotten no response on this matter from the mutt list or from the maildrop list. I have read all the relevant man pages and have been searching without success on Google for a solution (other than switching to procmail).

I am switching from Gnus to Mutt, and am using maildrop to provide the sorting which I previously was doing with Gnus. I am running Debian Etch on an i386 (Celeron) desktop system. The incoming mail chain is as follows:

  pop3.isp.com -> getmail4 -> maildrop -> [ maildir structures ] -> mutt

I created the maildir structures manually, using the command:

   $ mkdir -p ~/mail/<new-maildir-name>/{cur,new,tmp}

I am getting errors of the following variety:

Delivery error (command maildrop 20225 error (75, /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to create a dot-lock at computer/20225.0.cromwell.))

Here is my "~/.mailfilter" file:

   DEFAULT="$HOME/mail/nondescript/"

   ### flagged by SpamAssassin

   if ( /^Subject:.*SPAM/ )