Re: ia64

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 11/10/06 05:55, Michael Fernández M wrote:
>> Hi..
>>
>> In the company we are thinking to buy a server IBM x3850 with 2 INTEL MP
>> XEON DUAL CORE. But this works in 64 Bits.
>>
>> The web site says...

>> Supports high-performance, dual-core 64-bit Intel® Xeon® Processors MP
>> and runs 32- and 64-bit applications simultaneously, providing headroom
>> and investment protection
>>
>> My Question is: Debian ia64 works with this kind of processors?
>
> No.  ia64 is "Itanium".  You want the amd64 kernel.

Don't feel bad. I made the same mistake. But the ia64 installation
disk wouldn't boot, so I installed the i686 installation. Now I find
out that it was the amd64 image I wanted and now I have to reinstall.

Frustrating. Why didn't the Debian developers stick with the more
correct x86_64 nomenclature that the Linux kernel team uses?