Re: Installing an i386 OS on an ia64 system

Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Hopefully the OP is still reading the thread anyway.

;-).

Thanks for all the feedback.

So with 64 bit comes a larger address space. I suppose throughput
should be faster two, no?

Anyway, as it turns out, the proper keyword is amd64. I should install
the amd64 installation image and the linux-image-amd64 kernel.

Of course! How stupid of me! I have an Intel processor so I should
install an amd image. That's so obvious. How silly of me to think that
ia64 might have meant "Intel Architecture 64".

Why, why, why, did the Debian developers rename the Linux kernel's
designation "x86_64" to "amd64"?!?!?!