Re: Installing an i386 OS on an ia64 system

Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler wrote:
>> I installed the i386 etch distribution on my 64-bit system since the
>> ia64 distribution had been burned on suspect media and wouldn't boot.
>>

> Are you sure you want ia64.  Most 64-bit systems these days use the
> amd64 port (i.e AMD64 and intel emt64 processors).  what have you got.

Intel. Some Xeon dual processor thing.

>> Questions:
>>
>> What am I missing out on?
>
> Depends on what you are using it for?

Compiling and running CPU-intensive programs. Lots of I/O too.

>> What components are actually different between these two systems? The
>> stock kernels, for example, don't seem to be different.
>
> Most binaries are recompiled specifically for 64 bit user space.  You
> can run a 64bit enhanced kernel on i386, look for the -k8
> linux-images.

I see this:

  Package: linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8 (2.6.17+2)
  Linux 2.6 image on AMD64 K8 machines - transition package

  This package is for transition only.

Why is it in transition? Does it really work on Intel?

>> What tells your system which binaries to grab? The sources.list file
>> doesn't indicate hardware type.
>
> The OS knows what its running:)
>
>> Can I transition my system from i386 binaries to ia64 binaries without
>> starting from scratch?
>
> If you mean amd64, no its a completely different OS but you can
> install in to a separate partition using debootstrap, or an install CD
> and then dual boot.

No, it's an Intel, and dual-booting is not useful. Are you saying I'd
have to reinstall the OS to make use of the 64-bit stuff?