Re: booting etch with / as lvm

On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:52:09AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get my system booting so that all filesystems are on lvm
> (apart from /boot obviously). I am moving from a normal setup.
>
> I have created my lv's and copied the data over, set up grub but when it
> tries to boot it cannot find the vg/lv's. If I boot up with my old root
> partition I have to run vgscan;vgchange -ay to make the partitons
> active. How do I make this happen automatically during boot so that the
> kernel can use lvm as the root partition?
>
> On a similar note, I just installed etch 64-bit on another box, and the
> installer created the lvm stuff, but on reboot cannot find my vg. I am
> assuming this is a similar problem, but would have thought the installer
> would have solved that for me (i guess not).

I recently did an Etch install on amd64.  Raid1 /boot, raid1 pv0, with
everything but /boot on lvs (root, home, usr, var, swap).  Everything
was set up perfectly with no booting problems.  I even installed grub on
the second disk's mbr so I can boot from either.

So I know it worked for me and I don't know what happend for you.

Good Luck.

Doug.