Re: how to install debian to workstations that boot via network

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 10:57:57PM -0800, Brad Brock wrote:
> Hi, I want to install debian to several workstations. The problem is
> the workstations do not have any CDROM drive or floppy drive but they
> can boot from network. How to install debian to the workstation? The
> workstation support PXE and RPL.

I hate to say this, but the answer to your question is in the
installation manual.  You can boot via the network and install from the
network.  Ofcourse, you'd have to set up a network boot server.

You could also boot and install from a USB stick.  You take an image
file for a USB stick and copy that to the stick, then copy the
netinst.iso CD image file to it.  Boot up the USB and the installer
finds the .iso file on the stick as if it was a real CDROM.  It works
great.

Either way, the details are in the manual.

You need to decide if you want to install Sarge (current stable) or Etch
(current testing, will be stable next month).  I had to install Etch
because my new box has SATA drives.  If you go with Etch, you need to
choose an archetecture.  Read the ports page on www.debian.org for
clarification.

I don't know what PXE and RPL are, but I've never needed to netboot.

Good luck.

Doug.