Re: booting etch with / as lvm

Douglas Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 08:52:09AM +0000, Anton Piatek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to get my system booting so that all filesystems are on lvm
>> (apart from /boot obviously). I am moving from a normal setup.
>>
>> I have created my lv's and copied the data over, set up grub but when it
>> tries to boot it cannot find the vg/lv's. If I boot up with my old root
>> partition I have to run vgscan;vgchange -ay to make the partitons
>> active. How do I make this happen automatically during boot so that the
>> kernel can use lvm as the root partition?
>>
>> On a similar note, I just installed etch 64-bit on another box, and the
>> installer created the lvm stuff, but on reboot cannot find my vg. I am
>> assuming this is a similar problem, but would have thought the installer
>> would have solved that for me (i guess not).
>>

> I recently did an Etch install on amd64.  Raid1 /boot, raid1 pv0, with
> everything but /boot on lvs (root, home, usr, var, swap).  Everything
> was set up perfectly with no booting problems.  I even installed grub on
> the second disk's mbr so I can boot from either.

I got my existing install running (needed to install initramfs-tools,
and it build a new initrd which had the lvm drivers and scripts to
initialise them) but my clean install still wont work. I tried
installing udev and initramfs-tools manually on it (from rescue cd) but
it still boots up and wont find the vg.

Strangely it actually mentions it by name... vg 'main' could not be
found (or similar)...

The only difference I can see is that the /boot dir on my other box has
all the scripts and binaries (I didn't put them there) whereas the clean
install has them only in the initrd image.

If I get a busybox console (after the boot fails and drops to shell)
then I can run the /scripts/local-top/lvm script and then the lvm
partitions are active. It is almost as if the lvm script isnt being
called on bootup!

Anton

--
email: anton@piatek.co.uk	home: 02380 557 995
mobile:	07900 951 627		work: 01962 816 557