Re: nvidia problems (Sid dist-upgrade)

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 20:24:16 +0100, Benjamí Villoslada wrote:
El Dilluns 30 Octubre 2006 09:54, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
 (Your
old custom-built nvidia package provides "nvidia-kernel-1.0.8774",
therefore it cannot satisfy the dependency of the new module.) The
linux-image-* package is installed because the nvidia-kernel-* package
depends on it.
I remember, thanks! Few weeks ago I've uninstalled linux-image-2.6.18-1-486 because I don't use this stock kernel --now have one custom kernel.

Exists some procedure in order to avoid this kernel installation when new nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source versions come?

One way would be to shut down X and remove the old nvidia-glx package
before upgrading the nvidia-kernel-source package. After you
auto-install the nvidia kernel module with module-assistant you can
install the new nvidia-glx package and restart X.

There might be a better way to do this, but I have not found it yet. (I
only switched from using the nvidia installer script to the Debian
packages a short time ago.)

Other workarounds I can think of involve equivs or installing the
nvidia-glx package with dpkg and "--force-depends".

How do you install the nvidia installer? Every time I use it, I have to re-run it at boot time to get it to work.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com