Re: Why I left Debian

On Saturday 28 October 2006 20:50, Pollywog wrote:
> On Saturday 28 October 2006 14:42, Bruno wrote:
> > Thanks I'll certainly re-try later Debian and etch.
> > Especially because I already put stikers 'Debian' on my laptop and would
> > not like to remove them ;-)
> >
> > Bruno
>
> Did Debian detect all the hardware on your laptop?  The reason I removed
> Debian from my laptop (I run Debian on two desktops) is that it would not
> detect the modem (a "winmodem") or the wifi interface.  I then tried
> Xandros and it did not detect them either, but Linspire detected all
> hardware.  I now have Linspire and Freespire installed on the laptop.
>
> I did not try Ubuntu or Kubuntu but those might be good choices.
>

> 8)

I 'll say that Debian detect correctly the hardware on my laptob (Dell Aspire
9100). Except, it seems, video card ATI Radeon x600 for which I had to
install different stuffs fglrx and ati as it was not able to do 3D.

But I'm not sure about that because I have the feeling that 3D support is
in fact not included in the standard etch reposititories (but I might be wrong
on this last asumption...)

Bruno