Re: micro debian

> GRML is great, but the point is that the link you provide is a plain
> sarge debootstrap install, which is not what Douglas is looking for
> because:
> 1) A debootstrap installation is meant to be on a single partition;
> 2) It would take about 110 MB (tested!).
>
> Unfortunately, with Sarge, the Debian developers have agreed on a
> bloated installer:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2005/02/msg00046.html
> (why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?)
>
> I am working on a minimal chroot install, I 'll let you know if I
> have achieved anything.

I've been working on some very task specific Xen images based on Sarge,
and been playing with Oracle's 'Rasta' system to help make network pxe
pushes a little easier to tailor from a single root.

Unfortunately what I have makes sense only to me. That being said, if
some more info was provided, I may have something suitable which could
help.

What's the function / purpose of the SMM platform? Sorry to reply to a
reply, but I can't seem to locate the original thread.

My projects have been focusing on easily making appliances out of SBC's,
typically with 128 MB or less and small CF storage. Without some HW info
for the target, its really hard to offer up a generic solution.

For starters, are you looking for a 2.4 or 2.6 based distro?

Best,
-Tim