Re: micro debian

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 11:16:39PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:

> I've been working on some very task specific Xen images based on Sarge,
> and been playing with Oracle's 'Rasta' system to help make network pxe
> pushes a little easier to tailor from a single root.
>
> Unfortunately what I have makes sense only to me. That being said, if
> some more info was provided, I may have something suitable which could
> help.
>
> What's the function / purpose of the SMM platform? Sorry to reply to a
> reply, but I can't seem to locate the original thread.
>
> My projects have been focusing on easily making appliances out of SBC's,
> typically with 128 MB or less and small CF storage. Without some HW info
> for the target, its really hard to offer up a generic solution.
>
> For starters, are you looking for a 2.4 or 2.6 based distro?

My lowest level (and most reliable by reputation) is a 1993 IBM
PS/ValuePoint 486DX4-100. 32 MB ram.  ISA bus. Target hard drive is 171
MB IDE.  Floppy, CD, and 100 MB Zip drives; will not run CD-burner and
no USB.

Looking for a distro that I can keep updated/secure/stable.  Think of it
as a firewall, documentation browser, emailer.  2.4 or 2.6 I don't care
as long as its up-to-date re secure and stable.

The problem with just going with generic Debian is the size of the
stable/main section for aptitude to wade through (memory and drive
space).  It would be nice if main was split into main and extra.

Because of memory constraints, a live CD probably won't work.

Thanks.

Doug.