Re: micro debian

scelejar wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Douglas Tutty wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know of a project to make a micro-distribution of
debian for
> > >use on older hardware?
[cut]
> Look at grml [0]. It is apparently more "pure Debian" than other
live
> cds (there's been some talk about it on this list recently). See,
for
> example, the "Install (plain) Debian via grml" section on the grml
> "Tips and Tricks" page [1].
>
> Celejar
>
> [0] http://grml.org/
> [1]
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=tips#install_plain_debian_via_grml

GRML is great, but the point is that the link you provide is a plain
sarge debootstrap install, which is not what Douglas is looking for
because:
1) A debootstrap installation is meant to be on a single partition;
2) It would take about 110 MB (tested!).

Unfortunately, with Sarge, the Debian developers have agreed on a
bloated installer:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-testing/2005/02/msg00046.html
(why is sarge "minimal" intall so huge compared to woody?)

I am working on a minimal chroot install, I 'll let you know if I
have achieved anything.

Ottavio

(http://www.yahoo.com/preview)