Re: Why I left Debian

Bruno wrote:
On Saturday 28 October 2006 15:37, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

why did you not try first the current stable version of Debian ?

Bruno wrote:

I really do not want to start any flame here but after all, as I used
Debian for few months, I find honest to say why I'm leaving it.

So few months ago, I installed etch on my laptop (previously had Fedora-5
on it) just to try it and because I think is good and important to try
other distros when you have some free partition / computer and time to do

Hereafter main problems encountered (some recurrent) these last months :

- as I installed etch around 50% of shutdowns never complete. So common
that I was used to unplug battery simply to shutdown. Same for 'logout
session' which allways freeze the laptop with a new login attempt.

- recently I had to 'pinning' apt-get (or dpkg..do not remember..) on
previous version because latest version continuously break apt-get
repository. Only cost few hours of googling to find a solution.

- 'kde su root' reject root password (...which was accepted in a 'su
root' in a console)

- flgrx / mesa / libGL often block apt-get update/upgrade seems because
of a dependency about libGL. Difficult to install a 3D system but even
more difficult to keep it stable that I decide to forget 3D when using
etch on my laptop.

- others..sorry only remember hours of googling to find solutions..

Once again I do not want to start any flame here : indeed Debian is a
superb distro (packaging system is really superb) but, IMHO, dedicated to
'Linux techies' ?
However my conclusion is this week-end I'll move back to Fedora (even if
yum is so far behind dpkg).

You're right. However IMHO versioning at Debian looks confusing, or (more correctly) at least make me confused : Etch is out since a long time now and people (obvously wrongly) consider it as 99+% mature even if labelled 'testing'.

Cycles are long for Debian: the criteria is stability and nothing else:
so `testing' really means testing as you had noticed despite yourself,
`unstable' is really unstable, and `stable' is solid rock.
When you install testing on your box, you must be ready for the worst:
a few days ago there were troubles with the Xorg stuff, namely no more
working Xserver: I you are not ready to face this kind of issue,
you must consider the `stable' distribution. With some experience, you can
easily manage issue in testing, but first you must familiarise yourself with
the stable distribution.

In fact, I read somewhere that the delivery cycle will be reviewed to make it more 'readable' (I didn't wrote 'commercial'), is that correct ?

I have not heard about this part.