Re: Why I left Debian

Bruno wrote:
On Saturday 28 October 2006 15:37, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
Hello,

why did you not try first the current stable version of Debian ?

Cheers,
Jerome

Bruno wrote:
Hello,

I really do not want to start any flame here but after all, as I used
Debian for few months, I find honest to say why I'm leaving it.

So few months ago, I installed etch on my laptop (previously had Fedora-5
on it) just to try it and because I think is good and important to try
other distros when you have some free partition / computer and time to do
it.

Hereafter main problems encountered (some recurrent) these last months :

- as I installed etch around 50% of shutdowns never complete. So common
that I was used to unplug battery simply to shutdown. Same for 'logout
session' which allways freeze the laptop with a new login attempt.

- recently I had to 'pinning' apt-get (or dpkg..do not remember..) on
previous version because latest version continuously break apt-get
repository. Only cost few hours of googling to find a solution.

- 'kde su root' reject root password (...which was accepted in a 'su
root' in a console)

- flgrx / mesa / libGL often block apt-get update/upgrade seems because
of a dependency about libGL. Difficult to install a 3D system but even
more difficult to keep it stable that I decide to forget 3D when using
etch on my laptop.

- others..sorry only remember hours of googling to find solutions..

Once again I do not want to start any flame here : indeed Debian is a
superb distro (packaging system is really superb) but, IMHO, dedicated to
'Linux techies' ?
However my conclusion is this week-end I'll move back to Fedora (even if
yum is so far behind dpkg).

Bye,
Bruno
--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net

You're right. However IMHO versioning at Debian looks confusing, or (more correctly) at least make me confused : Etch is out since a long time now and people (obvously wrongly) consider it as 99+% mature even if labelled 'testing'.

Cycles are long for Debian: the criteria is stability and nothing else:
so `testing' really means testing as you had noticed despite yourself,
`unstable' is really unstable, and `stable' is solid rock.
When you install testing on your box, you must be ready for the worst:
a few days ago there were troubles with the Xorg stuff, namely no more
working Xserver: I you are not ready to face this kind of issue,
you must consider the `stable' distribution. With some experience, you can
easily manage issue in testing, but first you must familiarise yourself with
the stable distribution.

In fact, I read somewhere that the delivery cycle will be reviewed to make it more 'readable' (I didn't wrote 'commercial'), is that correct ?

I have not heard about this part.

Jerome