Re: Why I left Debian
why did you not try first the current stable version of Debian ?
I really do not want to start any flame here but after all, as I used Debian
for few months, I find honest to say why I'm leaving it.
So few months ago, I installed etch on my laptop (previously had Fedora-5 on
it) just to try it and because I think is good and important to try other
distros when you have some free partition / computer and time to do it.
Hereafter main problems encountered (some recurrent) these last months :
- as I installed etch around 50% of shutdowns never complete. So common that I
was used to unplug battery simply to shutdown. Same for 'logout session'
which allways freeze the laptop with a new login attempt.
- recently I had to 'pinning' apt-get (or dpkg..do not remember..) on previous
version because latest version continuously break apt-get repository. Only
cost few hours of googling to find a solution.
- 'kde su root' reject root password (...which was accepted in a 'su root' in
- flgrx / mesa / libGL often block apt-get update/upgrade seems because of a
dependency about libGL. Difficult to install a 3D system but even more
difficult to keep it stable that I decide to forget 3D when using etch on my
- others..sorry only remember hours of googling to find solutions..
Once again I do not want to start any flame here : indeed Debian is a superb
distro (packaging system is really superb) but, IMHO, dedicated to 'Linux
However my conclusion is this week-end I'll move back to Fedora (even if yum
is so far behind dpkg).