Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

* Miles Bader (miles@gnu.org) wrote:
> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
> >> (2) a giant bloated whale, but actually seems to work pretty well for
> >>     light word-processing duties and reading .doc files I get in the mail
> >
> > Maybe you should try abiword.
>
> Yeah, I used to use abiword back in the day, but it was always
> _horribly_ flaky -- it crashed a lot, even on simple documents, and
> seemed to randomly reformat text in odd ways based on the phase of the
> moon.

I have had this same experience.  I can recall some time back and
everyone seemed to be raving about abiword and its meagre footprint.
I couldn't really use it though as it would crash about three minutes
into every document I would work on.  And not when doing something
really, but just inputting text.  Very flaky indeed.  I wonder if it
has improved since.  I may have to try it just to see.

Patrick