Re: What's your favourite FLOSS?

true.

out of three available word processors in sarge (oowriter, koffice, abiword) only oowriter reads and writes properly MS Word's more advanced formattings - shadowed backgrounds, etc. As most people are using MS, oowriter seems quite raisonable choice.

regards

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
>> (2) a giant bloated whale, but actually seems to work pretty well for
>>     light word-processing duties and reading .doc files I get in the mail
>
> Maybe you should try abiword.

Yeah, I used to use abiword back in the day, but it was always
_horribly_ flaky -- it crashed a lot, even on simple documents, and
seemed to randomly reformat text in odd ways based on the phase of the
moon.

oowriter is indeed very bloated, and also used to be kind of flaky
(never as bad as abiword in my experience though), but it seems pretty
good these days.  I suppose abiword has probably improved as well, so I
should at least check it out, but I'm pretty put off by my previous
experiences with it.

-Miles

--
People who are more than casually interested in computers should have at
least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like.  Otherwise the