Firefox/Flash sound comes and goes using 32-bit chroot on amd64.

I'm running an Athlon 64 X2-based system.  If followed the instructions
(posted on
on how to set up a 32-bit chroot area using debootstrap.  I also set up
schroot so that I can run my 32-bit apps (mostly just Firefox and Adobe
acroread) from 64-bit userland.  Mostly things work, but I've noticed
something strainge.

I have a script (/usr/local/bin/firefox) that is a script that contains the

#! /bin/bash
exec schroot -p -c etch-i386 firefox

When I run this script from 64-bit land, firefox starts as expected, but if
I try visiting a site like YouTube, there's no sound on the video.

When I do something like the following:

coffee$ schroot -p -c etch-i386 bash
coffee$ # Now I'm in 32-bit land
coffee$ firefox

Then firefox and flash player cooperate nicely and I can watch (and hear)
the "White and Nerdy" video to my heart's content.

Anybody have a clue as to what's going on here?  My only idea is that for
some reason schroot is giving up permissions on the /dev area prematurely,
and that there's a simple fix that I could do with my little script, or
perhaps in the schroot config file.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Juranich
Tucson, AZ