Re: Firefox/Flash sound comes and goes using 32-bit chroot on amd64.

Þann 2006-10-25, 09:18:32 (-0700) skrifaði Steve Juranich:
> I'm running an Athlon 64 X2-based system.  If followed the instructions
> (posted on
> https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html)
> on how to set up a 32-bit chroot area using debootstrap.  I also set up
> schroot so that I can run my 32-bit apps (mostly just Firefox and Adobe
> acroread) from 64-bit userland.  Mostly things work, but I've noticed
> something strainge.
>
> I have a script (/usr/local/bin/firefox) that is a script that contains the
> following:
>
> <listing>
> #! /bin/bash
> exec schroot -p -c etch-i386 firefox
> </listing>
>
> When I run this script from 64-bit land, firefox starts as expected, but if
> I try visiting a site like YouTube, there's no sound on the video.
>
> HOWEVER....
>
> When I do something like the following:
>
> <session>
> coffee$ schroot -p -c etch-i386 bash
> coffee$ # Now I'm in 32-bit land
> coffee$ firefox
> </session>
>
> Then firefox and flash player cooperate nicely and I can watch (and hear)
> the "White and Nerdy" video to my heart's content.
>
> Anybody have a clue as to what's going on here?  My only idea is that for
> some reason schroot is giving up permissions on the /dev area prematurely,
> and that there's a simple fix that I could do with my little script, or
> perhaps in the schroot config file.

Here is a thought you might consider.
Your first solution runs firefox with the same environment variables
as the 64 bit environment (the -p takes care of that) but in the
latter you fire up bash and that could perhaps overwrite some values
and set things up correctly?

Just a thought :-)

Oli