Re: etch freezes on trying to access cdrom

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 05:01:18PM +0200, Tom Zeitzler wrote:
> Since a recent upgrade of my etch laptop, the system regularly freezes
> on trying to access the cdrom (hard reset required). This occured
> 'automatically' after each login into kde, since konqueror apparently
> tried to access the cd-drive to check for cds (about one or two minutes
> after login).
>
> The problem disappeared after running 'deluser xxx cdrom' (now I don't
> have cdrom access of course).
>
> Strangely the freezes left no trace in syslog.
>
> I guess this relates to a bug somewhere, but have no clue as to how to
> track this down.

does it happen when there is a cd in the drive? or only when its
empty? look into kde's automounting features (probably hal and some
other stuff). try disabling those things and then try accessing the cd
the old fashioned way (mount /dev/cdrom...) and see what happens. YOu
should be able to narrow it down to a package or two anyway.