Re: Compiling a kernel

jameson_debian@coost.com wrote:

>You have gotten a couple DIFFERENT approaches to installing a kernel on
Debian.
>At least one comment should send up a warning:

Yes, a level-minded user.

>On compiling with --initrd, I finally drank the coolade last year.
Before I tried to have no
>modules, compiling needed modules into the kernel itself.  Since
everyone now compiles
>oodles of modules, mostly uneeded, but, unknown uneeded, instructions
now usually talk
>about modules.  As others in this thread have mentioned.

I just finally succumbed to the Jim Jones thing in the last couple of
days after years of
building non-initrd kernels on Debian due to a strong dislike of devfs.
I do not know if it
is intentional on the part of the Debian development team to force
initrd on the population,
but, I have found it quite difficult, and very time consuming, trying to
build and boot a non-
initrd kernel from the 2.6.1x series.  No need for the rtfm/google is
your friend' stuff I have
most of the current Debian docs from packages, self edited
OpenOffice.org libraries, and
web picked pdf's.
All I wanted was to locally build a trusted 2.6.18 series kernel with
CITI_NFS4 patches.
After several build iterations on a -rc6 source tree.  The one that
finally booted without a
'kernel panic: vfs: error root fileysystem not found' error, was a
'make-kpkg --initrd'
build.
Per usual, the alsa system still won't greet me when KDE starts, though
all the modules are
loaded, but this thing runs as a kerberos slave with our ldap database
replicated to it.  So
sound sucks, and I guess I don't need it (more like, I don't have time
to screw with it).

I guess while I'm ranting;  Linux was promoted years ago as being able
to run on outdated
hardware.  My budget does not allow me to purchase the latest hardware
pushed down to
us by Intel, AMD, and MS, every millisecond.  But it sure seems like Linux
(all distributions) and the 'BSD's for that matter, have developed a
preference for
recent (within the last three years) hardware.  Maybe I'm confusing
'able' and 'useable'.

Oh well, I think there might be something for me in 'man kernel-img.conf'.

Michael