Re: modem: internal or external?

dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote in 20061019025125.GA2624@pluto:">news:20061019025125.GA2624@pluto:

> What is the current wisdom for a solid reliable modem?  Should I go
> external via the serial port or internal?  Is USR still the defacto gold
> standard?

Don't care about the brand of the modem, but prohibit _any_ internal ones !
The reason is moderm modems are almost all softmodems, witch needs
proprietary (and commercial) drivers... Moreover, they use lot of
ressources on the computer !
With external serial modems, you are assured to get a good robust old-
school hardware modem that will work perfectly on any hardware and OS ;)

--
Rico