Re: Starting iptables

* John Hasler (jhasler@debian.org) wrote:

> The name is misleading.  Ipmasq configures both NAT and firewalling.  The
> default configuration is suitable for most, but you can tweak the scripts
> to do whatever you need.
>
> However, it is not clear that you need a firewall at all.  If you have only
> the one machine, just don't open any ports.

I guess I have never really thought about it that way.  I have just
assumed that I was better off for having something like a firewall in
place on any computer connected to the internet.  And I have opened no
ports intentionally, but now I am wondering just how to find out what
ports are open and how they got that way?  Any recommendations?

Patrick