Re: Starting iptables

* Kevin Mark (kevin.mark@verizon.net) wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
> most folks just run 'shorewall'! And you can add more rules if you need
> to.
> =Kev

This does seem to be the consensus here.  However, as I have never
used this tool it is a bit intimidating.  And the documentation is so
vast it may be a bit of an overkill for my very simple purposes.  You
see, I have only one NIC which is connected to a Linksys router, which
in turn is connected to the modem.  My modem does its own firewalling,
but I cannot bring myself to rely entirely on it, and always set up my
own as well.  But, because I have only one NIC I can never quite
figure out what to do with loc in the zones, which in the
documentation and such is always eth1, which I don't have.  Should I
not have a loc zone?  Or do I just have eth0 for both net and loc?

Patrick