Re: firewalls and installation stuff....

On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 12:21 +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> Would that have been enough to include and fire up some kind of firewall or
> do I need to install that separately?
>
> If so what firewall would you recommend and what aptitude command will fetch
> me it?
>
> How do I know that the firewall is on and working?

Other have already recommended shorewall, but there are other tools you
can try. For example firestarter is a complete package for managing a
firewall, and GUI based.

> Also if I want to probe the horizontal and vertical refresh rate of the
> monitor I am using more precisely using Linux (e.g. superprobe?), how do I
> do it?
>
> Also I assume that if I go into the config box in Gnome then I should be
> able to run the Xwindows config again somehow and then put in the precise
> monitor refresh information into Xwindows and then have the monitor work as
> effectively as possible.
>
> Suggestions on the best strategy here are appreciated.  The video card is an
> SiS 630/730 according to Fedora.  Putting in SiS as the card manufacturer
> type seemed to work well.
>
> So far I chose the "simple" option and put a generic 15 inch CRT display in
> form my monitor.  This has actually worked OK but I want to refine it and
> give Debian the fair deal when it comes to running my hardware.

You can re-run the configuration for X and manually input the correct
refresh rate. The configuration can be run inside X from a terminal, but
you need to restart X for the changes to take effect.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson