firewalls and installation stuff....

Dear Debian folks,

I have now got Debian Sarge 3.1 r3 up and running on my 1200MHz AMD Duron machine with two hard drives of 20 and 40 GB and a 15 inch cheap Belinea monitor.

I also have a broadband connection and the 15 CD set of official Sarge stuff.

I installed the base system plus XWindows plus Gnome etc.

I did aptitude install x-window-system kde gnome after I had done the desktop version of the base install from the CDROM set.

The broadband connection and my browser work fine.

Would that have been enough to include and fire up some kind of firewall or do I need to install that separately?

If so what firewall would you recommend and what aptitude command will fetch me it?

How do I know that the firewall is on and working?

Also if I want to probe the horizontal and vertical refresh rate of the monitor I am using more precisely using Linux (e.g. superprobe?), how do I do it?

Also I assume that if I go into the config box in Gnome then I should be able to run the Xwindows config again somehow and then put in the precise monitor refresh information into Xwindows and then have the monitor work as effectively as possible.

Suggestions on the best strategy here are appreciated. The video card is an SiS 630/730 according to Fedora. Putting in SiS as the card manufacturer type seemed to work well.

So far I chose the "simple" option and put a generic 15 inch CRT display in form my monitor. This has actually worked OK but I want to refine it and give Debian the fair deal when it comes to running my hardware.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

PS I also tried installing Debian on an old PC with a Pentium 100 chip in it and two small drives of 1.7GB and 2GB. The small drive has Windows 98 on it. The second drive was a slave drive and I tried to put Debian on it.

I had to boot from floppies to load the CDROM. It is not connected to the internet. The partitioning worked OK but when I tried to install the base system it crashed when trying to load debootstrap. I tried several times but I coulkd not get past this problem.

Suggestions welcome.

I have managed to load feather linux on this old machine as a live CD first and then I even did a hard disk install with feather on to the 2GB hard drive. Feather is in part derived from Debian or so I thought. Maybe it doesn't use debootstrap.

Suggestions on how to proceed are appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Fothergill

Windows Live? Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free! http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/?locale=en-gb