Re: firewalls and installation stuff....

Michael Fothergill wrote:

> I also have a broadband connection and the 15 CD set of official Sarge
> stuff.

Overkill.  If you have a broadband connection, for the sake of your time
(wasted by downloading more data than you have to and burning CDs you won't
need) the Debian mirrors (bandwidth) and the environment (wasted CDs), you
probably should have read more closely on the Debian CD image download site
at http://www.debian.org/CD/ .  The very first link on that page is a 120
MB minimal bootable CD, and says "Are you sure you really need the full
CDs? You can just get the basic installation system - it will download the
rest of the distribution if and when needed during the installation."

> I installed the base system plus XWindows plus Gnome etc.

Minor nitpick:  It's the X Window System or X, but not XWindows.  That
implies it has anything to do with Windows, the desktop environment trying
to be an operating system.

> Would that have been enough to include and fire up some kind of firewall
> or do I need to install that separately?

Not needed.  People use Debian to create firewalls.  Just don't install any
software that you don't need and you'll be OK.  aptitude visualizes this
well.