cdebootstrap, USB-Ethernet

The Pegasus driver successfully operates a Belkin
USB-Ethernet adapter on my desktop Pentium system.
Required modules are loaded automatically.

Recently I installed the base system on the hdd from
a Toshiba Pentium laptop 4000CDS using cdebootstrap.
With that system, the indicator light on the Belkin
never illuminates and the adapter is not reported by
ifconfig.

The Web page for
Package: nic-usb-modules-2.6.17-2-486-di (1.37)
states this.
"Warning: This package is intended for the use in building
debian-installer images only. Do not install it on a normal
Debian system."
So I did not try to install this module.

What should I do to get the Belkin adapter to work as
on my desktop system?

Thanks,          ... Peter E.

Desktops.OpenDoc  http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/