Re: Debian Weekly News?

* Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> [2006 Oct 16 12:42 -0500]:
> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:50:41AM -0800, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> >>From the September 26 DWN:
> >>
> >>As Debian experiments with funding, the author of DWN is going to
> >>experiment with spending less time on Debian. Please understand that due
> >>to this there may be no future issues of DWN in the current form or that
> >>they will only be released less frequently.
> >>
> >I'd say that is quite poor form/sour grapes/whatever.
>
> It's even worse "form" (and foolish) to complain in a public forum about
> how much time volunteers spend working for a volunteer project.

While volunteering is laudable and everone that has contributed to
Debian and Free Software has my sincere thanks, volunteers aren't
necessarily above reproach.  Generally, when a volunteer has a lack of
time, they ask for help, if they don't receive it, then appropriate
steps must be taken.  As I read it, this was not one of those cases.

The DWN author apparently felt a strong disagreement with the DPL and
opted to take out his frustration on his readership, many of them not
Debian Developers and thus not even a part of the process in question.
I suspect that had the DWN author announced that he wished to transfer
his volunteer task to another volunteer there would have been
well-wishes toward him and no ill will regardless of the stated reason.
As it is, he opted instead to spite a large portion of the community
that wasn't even a part of the disagreement in question.  His actions
are similar to a school yard pout and thus are fair game for comment.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"