Re: nvidia-xconfig and xserver-xorg-video-nv

On Tue October 17 2006 03:49, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:38:09PM -0700, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > I use the nvidia drivers also for my FX 5700LE. There is a pre built
> > module for it in unstable and it seems to be working great here.
> >
> > What are you running there, i386/amd64   sarge/testing/unstable?
>
> Etch i386/486.  None of the K7 kernels will actually work on my box--thus
> my working with the kernel packagers to figure out what's up.
>
> > Aside from the module (you may need to build it yourself depending on
> > your arch etc) you need nvidia-common and nvidia-glx.
>
> Or just download it from NVidia themselves.  I just wish Debian handled it
> in an automated way.

It looks like those modules are available now (in non-free, so they won't be
on your CD) in unstable. I did a fresh install yesterday and didn't have to
build anything.. :) There has been a problem with them that has been keeping
them out of testing but that seems to be resolved (from what I can see) and I
think those packages will be moving into testing shortly.

I have installed the module from the nvidia installer also and it works, but
you will have problems when a new kernel or x comes along. I find it best to
use module-assistant to build and install the nodule for me.

m-a prepare
m-a auto-install nvidia

If that was successful be sure nvidia-common and -glx are installed also and
you should be good to go.

I never thought I'd ever see the modules pre packaged and ready to install
(because they are closed source) but I installed them yesterday and they are
working well.. :)