Re: Moving "setup" from one computer to another?

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 13:27:30 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:

>>I'd also do. Do this *before* you do dpkg --set-selections <
>>myselections.
>>
>>Source system:
>>debconf-get-selections > debconfsel.txt
>>
>>Target System:
>>debconf-set-selections < debconfsel.txt
>>
>>A lot of settings are kept in debconf. You could also edit the
>>debconfsel.txt if you want to change stuff.
>
> Brilliant!  This is a good example of why I keep coming back to Debian
> all the time.

I'm sorry to be the one to point out that this method won't allow you to
go too far, especially when you really need it, ie, during dstro upgrading...

check out the story in details at:

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/nix/debian/deb12-PackageRelatedCommandsInstallation/ar01s07.html#id2506716