Re: Moving "setup" from one computer to another?

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 03:35:42 +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>[..]
>> I found this at
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html
>> To make a local copy of the package selection states:
>>
>>       $ dpkg --get-selections "*" >myselections   # or use \*
>>
>> "*" makes myselections include package entries for "purge" too.
>>
>> You can transfer this file to another computer, and install
>> it there with:
>>
>>       # dselect update
>>       # dpkg --set-selections <myselections
>>       # apt-get -u dselect-upgrade    # or dselect install
>
>This is the easiest way AFAIK. The problem is that it doesn't copy the
>"auto" state of packages (packages installed automatically as opposed
>to explicitly)

>> Is this the way to go, especially since:
>> "In stable releases up to and including Potato, dselect was
>> the principal package maintenance tool. For Sarge, you should
>> consider using aptitude instead." etc
>>

>I don't know of  a way to do this that easily with aptitude. What you
>can do is aptitude search ~i  to get a list of installed packages, it
>will also give the state (auto or not), but I don't know of a way to
>feed it back into aptitude directly (you can write a sed+shell script
>to do it).

Well, doing it via aptitude and just considering the ~i packages is
likely to not produce a copy of the system.  Just installing those
packages will pull in not only the 'depends' but also the 'recommends'.

Personally I would do both :-) (all of this is untested so please take
care)

On the source system:

 # dpkg --get-selections > dpkg_selections
 # aptitude search '~i!~M'|sed -e 's/ \+/ /g'|cut -f2 -d ' ' > aptitude_selections

On the target system:

 # dpkg --set-selections < dpkg_selections
 # apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
 # aptitude --schedule-only markauto '~i'
 # aptitude --shedule-only markunauto < aptitude_selections

You probably should start the visual interface of aptitude afterwards to
make sure it worked out alright.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally
for machines to execute.
     -- Quote from Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs