Re: security problem: console text gets sent to printer

On 10/5/06, Mumia W.. <paduille.4058.mumia.w@earthlink.net> wrote:
On 10/05/2006 09:34 PM, Lubos Vrbka wrote:
>>> On two different occasions over the past month, text from the console
>>> was sent to the printer.  It prints 3-4 copies of 2-3 pages from the
>>> console.  The text is printed out just like it's shown in the console,
>>> with both the commands and their output.
>>>
>>> I use urxvt as my X console, and I run several bash sessions inside of
>>> screen.  Only the text from one of the sessions printed.  The first
>>> time text was printed from the root account, the second time it was
>>> from my user account.  The last command I typed before text started
>>> printing was xlock.
>>>
>>> I'm running the latest Etch with 2.6.16-2-686-smp.  This is a pretty
>>> big security problem, since my computer prints to a shared printer.
>>> Any idea what's causing it?
>>
>> If this was CP/M, I'd say that someone has pressed ^P.
> i reported the same thing on the list some time ago. i guess urxvt might
> be the culprit, i use it as well and see similar behavior. (i have etch,
> 2.6.17 kernel, amd64)
>
> i don't know what triggers the printout... sometimes i manage to press
> some weird key combination and urxvt than show (for a second or so)
> yellow rectangle with some text in (bottom left) corner - but i'm not
> sure if this is the reason.
>
> see my previous post on this topic, e.g., here:
> http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20060906.142321.ca40ffdf.en.html
>
> regards,

/Please don't snip attributions/

Hit Control-Shift, and urxvt (rxvt-unicode) goes into Unicode digit
acquisition mode. Release Control, and it goes into "keycap insertion
mode." Jason, perhaps some keys you press in one of those modes cause ^P
or something similar to be generated.

I use rxvt-xpm nowadays because of such strangeness.

That's probably what happened.  Thanks for the help everyone.  I'll
try not using urxvt for a while.

Jason