switching xorg.conf configurations?

Hi,

I occasionally need to use the native acceleration of the nonfree nvidia
x driver, but my laptop will neither suspend nor hibernate when they're
loaded.  I'd like to set up a situation where I can log in to my main x
session most of the time, but optionally log in to an x server running
with a different xorg.conf.  Is it possible to do something like this at
the gdm prompt?  If not, what might be the best way to do this?

Thanks,

matt